Ernest Adams was born in Roxwell, was married in 1931 and had two daughters. He worked for Chelmsford's electrical engineers Crompton Parkinson and became an auxiliary fireman at the outbreak of the war. He then joined the army and went to the continent in January 1945 and saw action. He became ill in Germany in the summer of 1945, was repartiated home and died at St. John's Military Hospital in Chelmsford. His home was in Oxney Green, Writtle.

Ernest was born in Roxwell in 1911, the son of Alfred Adams (1864-1938) and Emma Ann Adams (nee  Harvey) (born 1870). His parents had married at St. Michael and All Angels  Church, Roxwell on 14th July 1888. At the time Ernest s father was aged 23 and employed as a labourer. His bride was five years his junior. Both lived in Roxwell.

Ernest was baptised at St. Michael and All Angels  Church on 12th February 1911. He had at least twelve siblings, four of whom died by 1911, including: Alice Adams (born 1888), William John Adams (born 1890), Alfred Adams (born 1893), Charlotte Adams (born 1896), Walter Adams (born 1899), Arthur Adams (1901-1969), Ellen Adams (born 1903), Edith Mary Adams (born 1905), Florence Adams (born 1907), and Herbert Adams (born 1908).

The 1911 census recorded Ernest, aged 2 months, with his parents and seven siblings ar Roper's Farm in Roxwell. At the time Ernest's father was a horseman on a farm.

In 1931 Ernest married Margaret Harvey and the couple went on to have two daughters. Prior to the war he worked in the machine shop at the Chelmsford electrical engineers Crompton Parkinson.

In 1938 Ernest's father died. The Essex Chronicle report revealled that Ernest was a member of Writtle Cricket Club:

"Death of Mr. A. Adams. The death occurred on Jan. 20 of Mr. Alfred Adams, of Orchard Cottage, Oxney Green, after a long illness patiently borne. Deceased, who was in his 74th yeai, was highly respected. He was born in Writtle, and spent all his life in the village and district. He was familiarly known as Mongo. He had been in failing health for six years with heart trouble.

Until this period Mr. Adams led a very active life in farm work, starting at the age of nine, and retiring nearly sixty years later. He was first at Bush House Farm, Little Oxney Green, then for 25 years was employed the late Mr. G. Milbank, of Roxwell, frequently carting hay and straw to London with horses and wagon, doing two journeys weekly. For three years he worked fot the late Mr Collyer at Good Easter. Returning to Roxwell, he was with the late Mr. S. Young and his brothers Thatchers Farm for 20 years.

Ernest ADAMS, Gunner, 137 (M) H.A.A. Regiment, Royal Artillery

Died from illness at St. John's Military Hospital, Chelmsford. Aged 34

After a period at Galleywood he returned to his native village, and was employed by Miss M. A. Usborne, J.P., at Bulimers Farm foi six years, when ill-health caused his retirement.

Mr and Mrs. Adanjs were married at Roxwell Church on July 14, 1888, so this summer they would have celebrated their golden wedding. Besides the widow there are seven sons, five daughters, 13 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

One son, Alfred, has been in South Africa for 25 years. Another son, Mr. Ernest Adams, is well-known playing member of the Writtle Cricket Club, who have also been assisted by Mr. Arthur Adams. The funeral took place at All Saints' Church on Tuesday, amid many signs of sympathy and esteem. The Rev. J. H. Upton officiated. The grave had been lined with evergreens by Mr. Ben Bond."

At the outbreak of the Second World War he joined the Auxiliary Fire Service and saw much service during the blitz. Later in the war he joined the army and served as Gunner 11253743 in the 137 (M) H.A.A. Regiment, Royal Artillery. He went to the continent in January 1945 and experienced a good deal of heavy fighting.

He became ill in Germany in the summer of 1945 and was brought to St. John s Military Hospital in Chelmsford where he succumbed to the illness on 22nd August 1945. He was 34 years old. At the time of his death his family home was at 'Alfem' 26 Back Road in Oxney Green, Writtle.

Two days after his death a whist drive was held at the British Restaurant in Oxney Green raising £5 1s. 6d, for Ernest's widow and children. The function had been arranged before Ernest's death to aid him.

Ernest's funeral was held at All Saints' Church in Writtle on 29th August 1945 (row 30. grave 11), and he is commemorated on the village s war memorial.