Charles Albert Livett came from Hendon where his father was a railway policemen. He married in Somerset in 1933 and had a Middlesex-born daughter in 1939. After working as a type-setter Charles joined the R.A.F. and served with a barrage balloon squadron. In November 1942 the squadron was deployed in Chelmsford to counter recent low-level bombing attacks by the German air force. After surviving the May 1943 'Chelmsford Blit' he died from menigitis at St. John's Hospital in Chelmsford in September 1943. His home was in Somerton, Somerset.
Charles was born in Hendon, Middlesex in 1910, the son of Charles Henry Livett (1882-1934) and Mabel Mary Livett (nee Brown) (1886-1963), His parents had married in Hendon the previous year.
In 1911 the census found ten month-old Charles living with his parents at 47 Wilberforce Road in Hendon. His father was a railway policeman born in Finchley. Middlesex. In the next three years Charles was joined by two siblings; Doris L. Livett (born 1911), and Arthur M, Livett (born 1914).
In 1933 Charles married Gladys Lillian Inez Horsey in the Langport District of Somerset. His father died there the following year. Charles and Gladys had a daughter, born in Middlesex in 1939.
Charles worked as a type-setter in Somerton before serving as Leading Aircraftman 1267623 in 993 Balloon Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve during the Second World War.
Between November 1942 and January 1944 the squadron was deployed to protect Chelmsford from German air raids, with 31 barrage balloon sites created around the town. Its headquarters was established at 'The Priory' in Writtle, with each of the three flights in the squadron having their own headquarters around Chelmsford.
Charles Albert LIVETT, Leading Aircraftman, 993 Balloon Squadron,
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Died from illness at St. John’s Hospital, Chelmsford. Aged 33
Charles died at St. John's Hospital in Chelmsford on 24th September 1943 having been admitted there with meningitis a week previously. He was aged 33.
Charles was buried at Chelmsford Borough Cemetery (grave 5686) on 28th September 1943. The service was conducted by the Vicar of Moulsham, Rev. W. S. Brownless.
At the time of Charles' death his wife was living at Kingham Street, Somerton, in Somerset (the hometown of his mother). Charles' widow remarried in 1947 and died in Somerset in 1990.