John Henry Parker was born and brought up in Springfield. After leaving school he worked for the Chelmsford firm of solicitors, Copland & Sons. He married in 1940 and had a daughter born after his death. During the war he served for two years in the army before being medically discharged. He died in hospital in November 1943. His home was in Hill Road.
John was born in Springfield on 14th July 1910, the son of the stonemason James Parker (1877-1927) and Minnie Emma Parker (nee Tunbridge) (1872-1952). His parents had married in 1903.
He was baptised at Holy Trinity Church in Springfield on 28th August 1910.
John's siblings included Nellie Doris Parker (1906-1995) and James William Parker (1908 -1999).
In 1911 the census found eight month-old John living with his parents and elder siblings at 19 Navigation Road in Chelmsford. At the time his father was employed as a stonemason.
After leaving school John worked in the office of Chelmsford solicitors, Messrs. Copland and Sons.
John Henry PARKER, Private, 8th Battalion, Essex Regiment
Died at the Chelmsford & Essex Hospital. Aged 33
On 10th August 1940 he married Ellen Mary Elizabeth Richmond at Holy Trinity Church in Springfield. At that time he was a 30 year-old solicitor's clerk living at 19 Navigarion Road, Springfield. His bride was two years younger and lived a 2 Brockley Road, Springfield.
John later joined the army where he served as Private 6028298 in the 8th Battalion of the Essex Regiment.
John was medically discharged from the army after two years’ service. After six weeks’ illness he died at the Chelmsford & Essex Hospital on 16th November 1943. His condition was said to have been adversely affected when he was knocked down by blast from an enemy bomb in April 1943.
His funeral was held at Holy Trinity Church, Springfield on 20th November 1943 where he was buried in grave 790. Early in 1944 his widow gave birth to a baby girl.
His home was at 57 Hill Road. His mother lived at 19 Navigation Road.