William Walter Hutt was born in Hanwell, Middlesex where he married in 1934. Two years later he had a son, born in Maldon and later lived at Brownings Avenue in Chelmsford. He served in the R.A.F. early in the war and absented himself from his unit in October 1939 and arrived home. He looked unwell and his condition deteriorated, so he was taken to hospital where he died. An inquest concluded that he had died from self-inflicted asprin poisoning.

William was born in Hanwell in Middlesex in 1904, the son of Thomas Hutt and Ada Hutt (nee Chapman). His parents had married at Hanwell on 4th August 1900. At that time they were both living at 2 St. Margaret’s Road in Hanwell and William’s father was a labourer.

William’s siblings (all born in Hanwell) included Dorothy Hutt (born c1907), Albert Hutt (born c1909) and Nellie Hutt (born in 1911).

In 1911 the census recorded six year-old William living with his parents and three siblings at 13 Station Road, Hanwell, where William's father was a labourer. In 1934 William married Enid S. Emery in Middlesex. The couple had a son, born in Maldon two years later.

During the Second World War William served as Aircraftman 2nd Class 646068 in the Royal Air Force. In August 1939 he suffered a fall and remained ill until his death. Following his fall William told his wife that he had contemplated throwing himself under a train. She had informed the authorities of this and her husband had then spent a month in hospital undergoing treatment before returning to his unit.

However, on the evening of Monday 30th October 1939 he arrived at his home at 7 Brownings Avenue in Chelmsford, unexpectedly, having made himself absent without leave. He looked ill and haggard and retired to bed where his condition worsened. A doctor was called and William was taken to Chelmsford and Essex Hospital where his death occurred. He was 35. His inquest found that William had died from an overdose of aspirin.

A Chelmsford newspaper reported:


The inquest was concluded at Chelmsford by Mr. L. F. Beccle, coroner, on William Walter Hutt, 35, an aircraftman, whose home address was at Brownings Avenue. He collapsed when he arrived home on the evening of Oct. 30, and died later in Hospital.

Mrs. Hutt, the widow, gave evidence at the opening of the inquest on Nov. 2 that her husband had felt ill since he met with an accident in August, when he fell down some steps. When he arrived home on Oct. 30 he did not seem to know where he had come from, and said he felt ill. He went to bed. and was restless and sick during the night. The next day she sent for a doctor.

P.s. Joslin said that following upon a report of the death of the deceased, all the deceased's clothing and equipment were examined, and nothing of a suspicious nature was found.

Dr Roche Lynch. pathologist, who analysed deceased's organs, said in his opinion death was due to aspirin poisoning. The Coroner: He may have taken aspirins on the way by train to Chelmsford. He must have taken a large quantity. Dr. Roche Lynch: There is. of course, no restriction on the sale of aspirins.

In reply to the Coroner, the widow said her husband was quite happy until he met with the accident by falling. "I think that must have unnerved him," she said.

The Coroner said deceased had been in a distressed mental state. He had absented himself without leave, and he was unhappy about that, with the result that he managed to get hold of a large quantity of aspirins. His verdict was that death was due to aspirin poisoning, and that deceased took 'lis life while the balance of his mind was disturbed."

William was buried with full R.A.F. honours at Chelmsford Borough Cemetery on Saturday, 4th November 1939 (grave 5755) with the funeral conducted by the Rev. D. Ford. His was the first interment in the specially reserved new war graves plot.

William's widow remarried in 1942. 7 Brownings Avenue was the home at one time of Charles William Hayes.


William Walter HUTT, Aircraftman 2nd Class, Royal Air Force

Died in Chelmsford from a drug overdose. Aged 35