Stanley Edwin Hyam grew up in Burnham-on-Crouch where he married in 1938. Prior to the war he worked for the Chelmsford farmer Mr. R. H. Currie. During the war he served in the R.A.F. and was killed in March 1942 along with two crewmates when their aircraft crashed in Cornwall. His home at the time was in Moulsham Chase, Chelmsford.

Stanley was born in the Maldon registration district in 1911, the second son of Louis Edwin Hyam (1877-1952) and Rose Priscilla Hyam (nee Crosier) n(1884-1961). Stanley's parents had married in London in 1907. Stanley's siblings included Ruby Irene Hyam (1908-1929) and Bertie Asquith Hyam (1909-1982).

Stanley married Mabel Clarke St. Cuthbert's Church in Burnham on 26th June 1938. A Chelmsford newspaper reported:

"The Wedding took place on Sunday at St. Cuthbert's Church, the Rev. Father G. A. Steadman officiating, of Miss Mabel Clarke, youngest daughter of Mrs. and the late Mr. W. H. Clarke, of Station Road, with Mr. Stanley E. Hyam, second son of Mr. and Mrs. L. Hyam, of Queen's Road.

The bride, who was given away by her eldest brother, Mr. H. H. Clarke, wore an ankle-length dress of white satin beaute trimmed with pearls, with veil and orange blossom, and carried a sheaf of lilies. She was attended by Miss Avis Hyam, sister of the bridegroom, in pink floral georgette, with lace crinoline hat, and a bouquet of pink sweet peas. Little Peter Clarke, nephew of the bride, was in pale green and cream.

Mr. Laurie Hyam was best man to his brother. A reception, attended by over fifty guests, was held at the Welcome Sailor Hall, and the happy couple left for Cliftonville, the bride travelling in a navy blue silk two-piece costume."

Stanley Edwin HYAM, Sergeant, 233 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

Killed in an aircraft crash in Cornwall. Aged 30

Stanley subsequently lived with his wife at 'Mabanto' (number one) Moulsham Chase, Chelmsford. The property was, close to Moulsham Lodge where he worked for the farmer Mr. R.H. Currie for several years before the war.

Stanley was well-known in Great Baddow where he played for both the village football and cricket teams.

During the Second World War he served as Sergeant 1205965 in 233 Squadron, Royal Air Force. The squadron moved to R.A.F. St. Eval in Cornwall in August 1941 and carried out anti-shipping patrols over the Bay of Biscay.

Stanley was killed on 8th March 1942 when his aircraft, a Lockheed Hudson V aircraft AM535 from R.A.F. St. Eval crashed in a field four miles north-east of St. Mawgan in Cornwall. The two other occupants in the aircraft were also killed: Sergeant 402499 Sydney William Benson (Royal Australian Air Force) (aged 19), and Sergeant 1375471 William Alfred  Parr (aged 26).

Stanley was buried at Burnham-on-Crouch Cemetery (Roman Catholic Section Grave 458)  on 15th March 1942, the town where his parents lived at 19 Queen's Road. He is commemorated on the Burnham-on-Crouch War Memorial. Stanley left an estate valued at £2,337 17s. 8d. with probate granted to his widow and father.

In 1943 Stanley's widow remarried at Chelmsford Cathedral. She had a daighter in 1945.